Skip to main content

Haven In Koramangala

It was a crazy rush as the weeks grew into days and before i knew it, i only had 3 days left before i board the flight to experience something not done before in my life!
When i agreed to the posting almost 2 months ago in December, i was a little disappointed because i had hoped for a rural posting to some place quieter and where the local folks live a more simple life; being born and bred in buzzling Singapore, i am not too keen to venture into another busy city where people generally have no time for each other.
I kind of told myself that everything happens for a reason and if i am meant to be posted to another city, it must be a test for me. In life, the only Constant is Change and i am quite confident i can find inner peace amidst the external chaos in a city.
And so I herded a whopping 57kg of luggage as i wanted to bring as many gifts, stationery, clothings and toys for the disadvantaged kids at Koramangala; my friends were overwhelming with contributions that i had to turn many down.
The Singapore International Foundation made my initial settlement in a strange environment as comfortable and smooth as they possibly can; from arranging me to fly in my home country carrier to finding me accommodation that most locals would find it a privilege to stay in; they even arrange airport pickup as i dreaded evening arrivals to a strange land. I am most thankful for Elaine to making all these possible.
My first day in India was a Sunday and it was true to the day, a very fine and sunny day! For a moment i thought i was in Australia or New Zealand as the drier and cooler morning crisp air blew with a tinge of scented flowers in bloom this early spring morning; there was hardly any pollution and noise where i reside. A staff member of my host, Parikrma Humanity Foundation came looking for me by mid morning and drove me around the neighbourhood to get me familised with the 2km walking route to the school. My first impression of the school went deep into my DNA; it was ‘love at first sight’ or sorts as i had just left a profession of almost 11 years dealing with the environment and there in front of me a giant 3 storey high concrete sculpture of a tree protruding out of the school walls!
I was pretty restless the rest of the day as i hope Monday would come soon as i was looking forward to meet the change makers of the school as well as these kids who have weathered so much anguish in their young lives; some have been abused or brought up in a rough neighbourhood with an absent father who is either an alcoholic or have ran away with another woman. They are generally in the bottom income strata and probably the first generation school attendees.
The rest is history, the past 4 weeks has been an eye opener for me as well as a humbling experience; the first scene where i saw hardly any food waste as all the 300 kids finish whatever rice and dhal they are given made my eyes wet with sadness and a reflection how fortunate our kids are in Singapore.

My first month passed by without much time to be homesick at all. I was constantly surrounded by the kids as they vie for my attention; something they dun get much at home due to their dysfunctional families. Many a times, they try to get into trouble so that they will be pulled out and get my attention. The cheerful faces despite the spartan facilities at the school makes me respect the principal, teachers, volunteers and school cleaners beyond words; i learnt they could well get a better salary teaching in other ‘normal’ school but they chose to stick with Parikrma due to the beliefs and conviction to help the marginalised.
For a start, i am tasked to mentor a group of way-ward kids that most teachers simply do not have time for because of the huge class size. These kids have either behavioural /discipline issues or have learning disabilities from ADHD to Dyslexia. Coming from a hash environment where beatings and fightings are common; they are in desperate need of loving kindness and compassion.
Every single day I’ve spent there so far have been trying at times due to the lack of space or funds; only the Grades 8-10 kids have benches and tables to sit in class while the grade 1-7 all attend classes sitting and writing on the floor; some w/o mats to cushion their buttocks against the cold concrete floors. Brand new textbooks are a luxury and rarity. I see many children w/o textbooks. While the 30 kids to 1 teacher tried to ensure as many of these kids are not left on the streets without an education, sometimes that also means the teacher is struggling to cope as some of these kids have been detained 2-3 times as they simply cannot catch up with their peers. It didnt help when English is their 3rd or 4th language after their mother tongue(Tamil) and Hindi/Kanartaka.
Despite all these setbacks, living in a city busting to the seams with migrants from the rural areas trying to get a slice of the economic pie; many students are motivated to strike out of this cycle and make a change in their life for the better. Never mind the constant power cuts and water cuts at school and at home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paramita Meditation Centre

8 years ago in Feb, i made my first maiden trip to this beautiful island nation of 30 million. Today, the pretty busy road that serves the main throughway from Colombo to Kandy has been widen, resurfaced and thus i see even huge tour coaches and container trucks passing by as i stand above about 5 storeys high at the main meditation hall as i start my walking meditation before THE SIT. Yesterday, an american-vietnamese resident nun living here gave me a surprise by giving me a local sarong and a illuminated statue of the buddha; she wished my happy new year as the sinhala new year is on the 13/14 Apr. PMC is located up the granite slopes to mitigate the noise from the traffic; however, the train tracks that probably runs at least 5 times a day is on the same height as the Dhamma Hall. Gotten used to the symphony of train, vehicular traffic and the sound of nature (birds, insects, whispering of the leaves).

Dhamma is Universal

A s i embark on a new chapter of my remaining current life coming to Sri Lanka, i chance upon a dated recording of the 40th Uruguay President; José Mujica. Two quotes from the interview caught my attention... "Either you are happy with very little, free of all that extra luggage because you have happiness inside, or you do not get anywhere. I am not advocating poverty, I'm advocating Sobriety. But since we have invented a consumer society, the economy must constantly grow, if it fails to increase, it's a tragedy. We have invented a mountain of superfluous needs. Shopping for new, discarding the old...that's a waste of our lives. When i buy something, when you buy something, you are not paying money for it; you are paying with the hours of life. You had to spend time earning that money. The difference that life is one thing money cannot buy; Life only gets shorter. And it is pitiful to waste one's life and freedom in that way." "Human

A Trilogy...a Full Circle?

In 3 days time, it's the lunar new year I came back a year ago where it started, it shall end... I was born a Chinese Buddhist, or what some may call a mahayana Buddhist. As i turned into an adult, i started exploring into earlier versions when it was still in India and Sri Lanka; or what some may call theravada Buddhism. And I've found solace in it as it kind of suits my fiery, impatient and egoistic character. Lately, i chance upon words of wisdom while watching; of all things, the latest rendition of a famous martial arts soap opera by Jin Yong, "Demi-Gods_and_Semi-Devils". I am going back to Crystal Jade Restaurants this evening to serve food; that's where i started off when i came back from india a year ago; the impending CNY double pay of course was a motivating factor, but i have other reasons for doing this... I also met a very promising young dude whilst serving behind the counter at Buddhist Library; i was over-zealous to say the least in tr